Monday, February 18, 2008

Butterick 5147 Skirt





Here is the review:


Pattern Description: Jacket A has front and back darts, collar and three-quarter length sleeves. Top B has front and back darts, side zipper. Slim fitting dress C has front and back darts, back zipper and back slit, length is 2" below mid-knee. A-line dress D has front and back darts, back zipper, length is mid-calf. Slim fitting skirt E has front and back darts, back zipper and back slit, length is 2" below mid-knee. A-line skirt F has front and back darts, back zipper, length is mid-calf. All garments are lined.


I made the slim fitting skirt, view E.Pattern Sizing:8-10-12-14. I made the size 10.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes and no. The main design features are the same but I changed the length and the pleat.


Were the instructions easy to follow?I didn't really look at them. Because it is supposed to be lined, they have a bunch of weird "whip-stitch this" and "slip-stitch that" directions that make it look handmade. I used a center zipper and used the center zipper application tutorial from the fashion incubator website. Also, I didn't like the way they did the back pleat so I made an inverted kick pleat and I love it. I got that tutorial from the Sewing Divas website.



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I'm not sure I will sew it again. It is really high (!) on the torso and sort of puffy because of all the darts. I know that is easy to remedy but I was thinking of trying to make a pancil skirt using my Jalie 2000 pants. They fit me well, they are not too high and the dart placement is correct. This Butterick skirt seems like it is for a curvier woman. Larger hips and smaller waist. You can see in this picture that it kind of puffs up around the hips. My shirt is actually compressing the fabric. Here's the back and it looks like I have a love-handle. I do love that the pattern has everything in it. I plan on making one of the sheath dresses soon.


Fabric Used:This is a 100% mystery wool that was given to me by some generous friends. They gave me several yards of assorted wools. I was going to line it but decided to just wear a slip with it after having some issues with the lining material.



Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:I chopped a few (3 inches?) off the bottom. I didn't line it. I made the kick pleat an inverted kick pleat. Would you sew it again?


Would you recommend it to others?I will sew the other parts of the wardrobe but I may not make the skirts again.


Conclusion: Cute wardobe options but I think I will try a different option for skirts. This just doesn't seem to fit me. I can change darts and modify it but I have a better plan. I'll keep you posted. I really like the shealth dresses in this pattern so maybe I'll make that next.

No comments: