Thursday, May 15, 2008

What Do I Really Wear?

Dana over at Lean Mean Sewing Machine posted a challenge to all sewers (sewists?) about what we really wear in a week. I thought my average for handmade clothing would be about 70-80% in a week. I took pictures of everything I wore this week (I know it isn't Friday yet but I wear the same thing every Friday). I can never remember during the week to take the pictures so I put them on the floor tonight and did it. I was disappointed. Only 8/12 are things sewn by me. I was hoping for a higher number.

Monday: Jalie top and Jalie 2000 pants. 2/2 So far so good.











Tuesday: RTW knit top and Burda pleated pencil skirt (my first Burda!). 3/4 Now I'm at 75%











Wednesday: Jalie slacks, Jalie Cross-Top (PR mini-wardrobe), New Look Blouse (PR wardrobe contest). 6/7










Thursday: RTW knit top with Kwik Sew jumper (one of my most favorite things I have sewn). 7/9










Friday: I'm a teacher. We always wear a "team" sweatshirt and jeans on Friday. I also wear a t-shirt under the sweatshirt. Assuming it is a t-shirt I made, which is most of them at this point, my total stands at 8/12. That's a lot lower than I thought. Drat.

I would encourage all of you to look at what you really wear in a week. It is an eye-opener. My goal for next year (next school year, everything revolves around work doesn't it?) is to have all my clothing sewn by me. I am only going to keep RTW garments that look and feel great on me.

10 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

I think you're forgetting there are 2 more days in a week. So, you still have a chance to up your percentage. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. I only wore one thing I made this week. Someday soon I'll have to get busy sewing again!

Lori said...

I am impressed with your items, I think that is a pretty high percentage. I really like that KS jumper, too.

Meg said...

Fun! This is like an InStyle magazine spread.

Paula Gardner said...

Dawn, I think that's really good! I only have four things that I've sewn for myself and I wore one of them (wearing it as I type, actually).

Melissa said...

I am going to have to try this. I think I have a high percentage. Almost all the tops in my closet are made by me. In the pants dept, I've only made one pair in my clset, but I usually wear jeans all winter long. Now that it's started to warm up, I wear skirts and dresses throughout the summer too - most of which I've made. Interesting topic! You have such cute clothes Dawn!

Dana said...

I really didn't set the challenge to see how many of your sewn garments you wear in a week, I was just curious to see what our everyday outfits are. On PR we usually only see the separate pieces and never see how they work in real life. Yours are great! I love that Thursday jumper.

Dawn said...

Debbie, I left the weekend out on purpose. I pretty much wear jeans and a t-shirt so it would bring my percentage down even further. :(

Dana, I know your challenge was not a contest or very specific but it is fun to see exactly what I wear during a work week. I think I may do it next week as well. It would be fun to keep a "clothing diary" of sorts. It would be easy if you had a camera that took a picture everytime you stepped out of your house. Kind of like the automatic cameras on fair rides that take your picture when you are looking your worst.

Dana said...

Dawn, I had those ambitions too (taking pictures for another week), until I wore a real klunker of an outfit that I didn't want anyone online to see! LOL. I think the next time I do it, and post a challenge will be when I have the summer off. I struggle so much with what to wear during the summer months!

angie.a said...

I'm impressed too! I spend a lot more time sewing things that I don't end up liking, LOL. I probably only wear 2 or 3 things a week max as a rule.

But everything you make is so adorable!! I'd wear it all (if you know, my bum would fit in it, which it won't. :P )