Thursday, July 17, 2008

Polo Shirt Placket Tutorial

This is how I made my placket for my BWOF polo this time. I am using the directions from the Timmel website. Click there for some more directions.

1. Attach a piece of interfaced fabric right sides together (RST) at the center front. I included the measurements in the picture below. Stitch a 1/2" around the CF leaving space at the bottom to clip the corners diagonally. This is important so you don't get a bumpy front when you flip the interfaced piece to the back. The teal is stitching lines. The black are just lines for references where you will fold later.


2. Flip piece to the inside. This is the showing the right side of the front.

This is showing the wrong side of the shirt but the right side of the interfaced piece. Press well.

3. Now, starting with one side, fold it open again and re-fold on the next line out. This puts it back in the middle of the opening where it should be. I tuck under the 1/4" edges and pin them. You will stitch this later. If you look closely you can see the un-folded piece on the left. It is hard to show with this teal color.

Here is the bird's eye view of the folds. This looking from the top of the shirt at CF.

4. Do the same to the other side. Pin carefully and topstitch (blue line below) both polo pieces as far down as you can.


5. Fold the bottom of the shirt up exposing the bottom of the placket. Stitch across all layers to keep them in place.


6. I finish off the bottom with my serger. I also sew a box at the bottom so the polot shirt does not go so far down. You don't have to do this but I like to.


Do the rest like you normally do! Ta da! Polo!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so helpful! Thanks so much, I'm stashng this away for later when I make this pattern. You make it look so easy but I know from your review that Burda's instructions most certainly weren't!!

Beth H said...

Great tutorial, thanks!

Martha said...

Great tutorial, thanks so much.

Dana said...

Great job on the tutorial. Love the brief and easy-to-understand instructions and pictures!

Melissa said...

Great tutorial Dawn, thank you for the easy to understand explanation. Now I have no reason not to make a polo shirt.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial, great instructions! BTW, my June BWOF came today from ebay, and I'm all excited! Where to start... Thanks for the heads-up on such a wonderful resource!

Gwen said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I have never tried this before, and will definitely have your tutorial in hand when I try it for the first time! :)
--Gwen

Cennetta said...

Excellent!

Teddylyn said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I needed it to finish a dress for my DGD--a Patrones Benneton knock off that I just could not figure out using the Spanish directions! I recut the facing piece and it was then easy-peasy!

TIA

Lynda in LV

Kaith said...

Yey!! I've been looking for a tutorial like this forever!! I love it and I love you for sharing!

Seams Charming said...

Hi! I know this was posted over a year ago but I have a question that I'm hoping you can answer. The bottom of my placket looks inverted. Is there a step that I am not understanding here? I am thinking that the bottom of the placket should lay on the top of the shirt. What am I missing?

Thanks so much for your help!

Duzza Bear said...

Thank you! I've been wanting to make a tunic for my daughter and have the fabric, but I just haven't been able to figure this detail out. I've been looking at my shirts and scouring you tube. I'm so glad I finally found your site!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the excellent tutorial. I had bought an expensive book that did not help me at all which resulted in a big "flop". With your help, I was able to learn this technique. Thank you so much. I really appreciate the details you put into this.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!

Jacki said...

Wow, perfect! I'm making my son's school uniforms from the vintage Kwik Sew's Sewing for Toddlers and they have an insane amount of facing and tab to make a tiny polo shirt! I'm doing this instead. I KNEW there was an easier way!

Unknown said...

this is a really turorial about Polo Shirt Placket .thank you

try my site:

lacoste online shop lacoste outlet

Anonymous said...

very good turorial,thank you

try big pony


big polo pony

Anonymous said...

good tutorial, now i know how to do it.....

Andrew Smith said...

thanks for that tutorial. it would be a great help.

Smith | cheap polo shirts

Femke Onneweer said...

Thanks so much for this! I stumbled across this awesome dress (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/calvin-klein-patch-pocket-belted-shift-dress-womens-/330757634506#ht_1233wt_1263) And I was like, "I could probably do that :T So, now I can! Sweet! Thanks again!

Sue Campbell said...

Just what I was looking for! Thanks


Sue C

Pat Headley said...

I looked at a lot of tutorials on the Internet, but this is the one I really understood. Many thanks.

Iguill Guillermo said...

Geez. Is this THAT hard that it took me forever to google and arrive at this tutorial? (I also noticed that I haven't seen a polo pattern from simplicity/mccall's/etc. as well.) I am trying to recreate a dress that doesn't come in my size :) Thanks, Dawn.

Dani said...

I just wanted to say thank you for writing such a clear tutorial. I made my first polo placket today and was entirely successful thanks to you!

alena mauer said...

I wanted to start making my own polo shirts but after reading this I don't know about it anymore. It looks a bit difficult, my sewing skills aren't that good. Maybe I will have to get my mom help me out until I get the hang of it.

Alena | http://bfrog.com/solid-color-womens-polo-shirts/