Thursday, September 18, 2008

I've lost the will to live

Coat #1 DONE. It feels like I've been working on this forever but it's only been about 10 days. I am so ready to do a quick knit top for me. The coat turned out nicely but I can't believe I cut out the second one. It may not happen this month. I love my twins but two coats? Uck.

A few details for ya'll. I lined the coat with the same wicking polyester sweatshirt knit as my son's coat. The inside has Polartec 200 for nice insulation. The arms are very wrinkly and stumpy looking compared to the rest of the coat. I did something special to the arms which I'll tell you about in a few pictures. The coat is long on my girls so I hope to get two winters worth of wear out of it. The pockets were by far the most time-consuming part of this coat. That and all the topstitching.


Lots of topstitching on this baby. I love the extra low butt-covering.



The outside arms look stumpy because I did a little homage to LL Bean. Many of their toddler clothes have "grow legs". The lining is shorter than the outer shell. When the kid grows you release the stitches and the lining "grows" to its normal length. I think it's pretty damn clever. Now I just hope that it fits as it is for now.



I may add the waist elastic and casing but I want to see if they need it and where I should put it. I forgot to add: Action shots to come tomorrow.

11 comments:

CraftRage said...

LOL! The post title startled me a bit, but now I can see why - that is a LOT of topstitching!

It looks excellent, and I REALLY love the idea of sleeves that grow!

Ann Made Studio said...

It looks great. Wonderful idea for the arms!

Cathy said...

The coat is amazing! What a clever idea for growing sleeves!

kasizzle said...

I'm glad you took extra steps so she can wear it longer. I can imagine how disappointed you would be if she outgrew it fast after putting so much work in to it.
I love all the topstitching.

Elaray said...

That's really a good looking coat! Growing sleeves! What a wonderful idea.

LauraLo said...

Wow, it looks very professional and what a clever idea with the lining of the sleeves!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is some coat! The topstitching looks great.

Melissa said...

Beautiful coat. I love the grow sleeve idea. With all that work you definitely want to get two winter's wear from it.

Keely said...

Wow! The coat is amazing. I love the effect of the variegated topstitching thread. Great idea on the growing sleeves!

Vicki said...

lol on the title (literally)! Yes you really have taken on a task for yourself. The first one has turned out really well. Maybe the twins could just have turns wearing the coat and going outside? (ok, just joking...)

Alexandra said...

That's a cool idea for the "grow sleeves". And a lot of topstitching, wow!