Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Questions and Answers

Sandra has left a new comment on your post "Burda 09-2008-120 Pencil Skirt Part II": Hi Dawn, great skirt and the length looks good on you. I'm also admiring your long sleeved knit top with loose polo neck - did you sew this as well? We are heading into winter dOWN uNDER and I've been looking for a similar pattern - hoping it might be a BWOF, Jalie or KWIK-SEW as these are available here. No urgency though as it is still unseasonally hot today!
Hi Sandra- Is 'polo shirt' in Australia the same as a 'turtle neck' here? The top I think you are referring to, a turtleneck grey shirt, is a BWOF/Jalie morph. Here's the review.

Cindy has left a new comment on your post "Burda 04-2009 #122 Dolman Sleeve Top": I was thinking of making this into a dress. Do you think it would work..any suggestions? Your top will look cute with shorts for the summer!
Cindy, This isn't one of my favorites and I don't know if it's the fabric, color, or design. It would look better on someone who actually filled out the top. There was a review on PR a few days ago and I loves her version.

Mommymita has left a new comment on your post "Jalie 2568 - Underwear": They are pretty and look comfy too I'm curious about your fabric sources. Do you sew all your own clothes? Even your performance and exercise gear? I'm finally back at it and in need of some running pants/shorts/shirts and all. Please tell me you have a good source for that type of sewing - Thanks
Mimmymita- I used to think I would never sew my own underwear or jeans but I've done those in the last month. The only think I haven't tackled is bras. I love exercise gear because I can pimp it out with hidden pockets for Gu, iPod pockets, key clip, etc.

Noile has left a new comment on your post "Jalie 2568 - Underwear": Hmmm . . . I like Kristine's comment -- you and Rocketboy are the cutting edge in "dainties" reviews! How do you manage to look both adorably wholesome AND amazingly sexy?I'd kill for those abs -- well, to be honest, I'd KILL, but I wouldn't EXERCISE.It never occurred to me to just leave the edges unfinished. Do they ride up at all? I love the minimalist look of the edges vs. the extravagant-looking wide lace.
Noile, They don't ride up at all. When I first pull me pants on I have to do some adjusting but then it's fine again.

Lorna has left a new comment on your post "Jalie 2568 - Underwear": Clever idea to leave the leg elastic off - I too get VPL there. How do they stay in place if you've got tight trousers on, though?
Lorna, see answer above.

Bunny has left a new comment on your post "Jalie 2568 - Underwear": You have so inspired me! I went to my undies drawer, pulled out a couple of cotton knit wonders, and CUT OFF THE LEG ELASTIC! I am liberated. I am free. I am flying on the No VPL express!!! Thank you, Dawn!
Bunny, You didn't ask a question but you CRACK ME UP!

KellysSewing has left a new comment on your post "Jalie 2568 - Underwear": Hi Dawn, Great panties, where do you get that 3" stretch lace?
Kelly, My local fabric boutique has it. They have it in white, cocoa brown, teal, and purple. I love them.

Gail has left a new comment on your post "Burda 12-2008 #118 Skirt": Just curious about the way it nips in under the bum (mine is much bigger than yours!). Is there any way to avoid this when making this skirt?
Gail, I think that is what the skirt does. I think it may be easier to find a less fitting skirt and add seaming detail to it. This sucker is fitted.

Miaaa has left a new comment on your post "Burda 04-2009 #118 Bell Bottom Jeans": I planed to sew this pant for myself and your great looking jeans from it give me a quick of my bottom ;-)Your pant is very nice and fit very well!I wasn't sure about the front pocket but I think I will stole the idea : only one front pocket! ;-)Just some question about the fit: witch size did you cut ?, is it a lot of ease in it or not ? Going by measurement, I am about 1inch slimmer that the size36, I think I will downsize a little what do you think of it ?
Miaaa, I always use a BWOF 36 for the bottoms and a 34 for the tops.

AllisonC has left a new comment on your post "Burda 04-2009 #118 Bell Bottom Jeans": Wow I love these. Did you have to do any adjustments in the erm, butt area or is the model photo a bit misleading?
Allison, I think they pinned the crap out of the model photo. I didn't do any back-side altering.

linda68701 has left a new comment on your post "Burda 04-2009 #118 Bell Bottom Jeans": The jeans look great. I've been enjoying reading your blog and your adventures in sewing. This may be a dumb question, but how did you get a subscription to BWOF? What website did you use?
Linda, My husband first got the me the subscription last year for Mother's Day. You can subscribe here at GLP News or you can buy individual issues here at SewBaby.com.

Rachel has left a new comment on your post "Burda 04-2009 #118 Bell Bottom Jeans": Those look great on you. Would yo explain how you modified them so that they are below your belly button. I like lower rise pants myself, but I am not sure how to alter them to make them lower rise.
Rachel, I pondered over this for at least an evening. The original pant was about an inch higher and had a waistband. I finally decided to get rid of the original band and cut my own. I constructed the pant but didn't put on the original band. I tried them on and then cut off one inch of the top of the jeans. Then I created a new band using the top inch of the traced pattern. I added new seam allowances and voila, new waistband.

Mary Nanna has left a new comment on your post "Easter Stuffies and a Teaser . . .": Hey, how does anyone get to make jeans in 3 hours. How how how? And it sounds like they fit great too.. oh it's just not fair! Sponsor thing, me I'm not a commercial gal so it would never be my thing, oh, that and I probably will never get thousands of hits a day to make me attractive to a sponsor anyway, but hey, everyone's got to make a living and if it helps out you and your family, I say, why not?
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Easter Stuffies and a Teaser . . .": Maybe a silly question, but how does the sponsorship thing work? What does it MEAN exactly?
Mary Nanna and anonymous, Well, if someone does click through my site to Fabric.com and places an order, I get a commission of the sale. I have a little analyzer so I can see how many people click and how many people buy. So buy, people, buy! Just kidding.

No comments: