Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Spring 2009 Mini-SWAP

PatternReview is having a mini-SWAP for spring. You have to have a total of 4 new garment. These garments must go with one item from your existing clothing for a total of at least 6 (six) distinct & different outfits. I'm thinking a pair of jeans (of course), a dress, and two jackets. I'm not sure about what coordinating item I'll use from my closet but I have a lot of purple.


First up, this March BWOF dress. I don't like the line drawing but the model photo is really cute. I plan to do this dress in a purple silk duppioni. I've never used duppioni before but I think it's a great pattern for duppioni. I've read that duppioni shreds a lot so something tight and fitted isn't the best thing. It's really hard to photograph the color.



Next, this April BWOF jacket. I love the flaps and the cropped length. I plan to do this in a cranberry corduroy.




Another pair of Jalie jeans. Yes, I know, that's three pairs in less than a month. What can I say? I love the fit of these jeans. I am going to goodwill the Levi's I've been wearing for the past year.


Next, a Patrones jacket. This jacket is from October 2005. I'm a Patrones virgin so this should be interesting. I have no idea what size I am in Patrones. When I measure my bust, waist, and hip, I'm in three different sizes. I went with a size 38 for the initial muslin fitting. It seems like The Patrones Woman has a larger bust and a small waist. Well, ahem, my bust isn't that large and my waist isn't that small.


I'm going to use this boucle from Fabric.com. I really like it. The colors are really bright and I'm toying with using the wrong side of the fabric. This is a sale fabric and, if I may shamelessly plug for a moment, that sponsor link to the right will take you to the sale page. This is one of the sale fabrics.


This is the back. What do you guys think about using the more subdues side?



I'm sure if these four pieces are too much to try to conquer in a month. I know I can make a pair of jeans in a couple of days. I'm not sure about two jackets but we'll see how I do on the Patrones jacket. I'm going to do the full muslin gig . . . yikes.

16 comments:

Lori said...

Good luck on the mini-swap. I do like the reverse side, too.

Amanda S. said...

Okay, I've been stalking PR's website for a few days now, waiting for them to announce their newest contest. Praying for a mini-wardrobe or full wardrobe or something else fun like that. For some reason when I go to the website, I can't pull up any information about this SWAP. Do you by chance know if it is only for members (of which I am not)? And I'm waiting with baited breath for you to finish vest 108 from the May Burda. I thought you were speedy gonzales! :)

Tanya said...

"and my waist is not that small" !!!! yikes lady- are you serious!!! unless you're some kind of photoshop genious, from what i can tell in your photos you have a body to DIE for!! everytime i see a pic of your waist, im like- how on earth has she managed that when shes had 3 children already?- fairly recently too!!! sorry just had to let you know. And im a fan of using the wrong side of that boucle aswell. Go for it, if theres anything you, miss two on two off can't manage sewing wise, well ill be damned :)

Amy said...

Those look like great pieces and I'm a big fan of that boucle! So pretty. I'm trying to get my plan together for the SWAP, but don't think I'll be doing anything near as complicated, except maybe the jeans. You've inspired me there :)

quer|elastisch Sabine Sprotte said...

Oh, what nice fabrics for that SWAP. I'm really on edge to see it completed.

Your choice of patterns is simply great. I'm prepaired to pinch some details ...

For the boucle I also would take the reverse side ***admitting-to-do-that-too***. Sorry, no experience with Patrones.

Good luck to the "photoshop genious" ***smile***

Sabine

gwensews said...

Great fabric and pattern marriages. Good plan! Good luck on the contest.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how these come out!
But I'll put in one vote for the right side of the boucle. Go crazy!

Bunny said...

Great combos! Personally, I like the right side of the boucle but they are both really great.

Rachel said...

I can't wait to see the finished products. I wish I could sew as fast as you. You are a constant inspiration to me.

Unknown said...

Looks like a winning plan to me! I haven't done a single PR contest yet this year, and lord knows, I could use a plan!!!

Tracy said...

I think the brighter side would look good for spring/summer.

David said...

That's alot of heavy sewing in a month! But your mini wardrobe choices are great. I like both sides, but I'd use the dark for myself... since my hair is dark.
Can't wait to see how your mini wardrobe turns out.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I like the right side of the boucle, but hey, it's your jacket, pick whatever you side like best :)
All the fabrics look, nice..but two jackets in a month! With three little kids! I am in awe. Or I am a total slacker.

mochimo said...

Can't wait for you to make the April BWOF jacket. I like it very much and would like to try sewing it although I'm not so sure my skills are good enough. Good luck on the contest!

Judy said...

definitely the subdued backside.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your version of the BWOF april Jacket. I would like to make it too, but I don't think my sewing skills are up to that yet, and making my first jacket should definately not be a BWOF one, cause the BWOF instructions often leave me clueless, so I would have to try a jacket with a pattern with instructions accompanied by pictures...You sew a lot of BWOF pattern, so I would like to know how you add the seam allowance, do you trace them, or add them while you're cutting the fabric. So far I've done it while cutting the fabric, I basically just trust my eyes to do it even all around. How do you do it, do you measure all around or not. Thanks! Chantal