Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jeans Sew Along - Thread

I think this will come up right away so I'm going to tell people what I suggest for topstitching thread. Every person prefers something different and some machines like different brands, thicknesses, needles, etc. For jeans topstitching, I either use Coats and Clark Heavy Duty thread. I have it in the following colors. I have used the middle two colors for jeans. I used the yellow color for this BWOF flared skirt.



The other thread I use quite a bit is this Gutterman upholstery thread. It's thicker and a bit shinier than the Coats and Clark. There isn't a huge range of colors but I do love the muted shades I have bought. I used the white thread on my black jeans. I used the grey on this vest and the brown on this coat.


This time, I'm going to use this honey brown color for topstitching. I always make sure I have a matching regular-weight thread for my embroidery. I don't want to put upholstery thread through my embroidery machine but usually do want to make the color on the pockets match. The thread on the right is just regular Coats and Clark Dual Duty thread.


For needles I usually use a Jeans needle in 100. I like to use my ancient Necchi which goes through layers of denim like butter. I also have a Viking Madison but it does not like thick thread or multiple layers of denim.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
I newly acquired a necchi mira.Can you please tell me how you topstitch so beautifully with this machine?(Which foot you use,how you line up the fabric to the foot etc.)

Pam said...

Dawn,
I don't make jeans but I'm totally into designer jeans (which come with a 34" inseam - mostly Hudson and True Religion). So, I normally rehem the jeans to include the original hems - so I use Gutterman "Jeans" thread I've used rust, blue, and like you a Jeans needle normally 100.

Less than half a mile from my house is a Tandy Leather store (like a fabric store for leather); I never have been - just discovered it and can't wait to see what they have for rivets. . .

Heather said...

Hey, I have that same Necchi Mira Bu! I've been considering making a pair of summer jeans, this just might be the inspiration I needed.