Saturday, December 20, 2014

November Burda Challenge 11-2014-113 Knit Top

First off, let’s pretend it’s still November, shall we? Secondly, let’s pretend I don’t have strange expressions on my face. Thirdly, let’s all ignore the fact that this shirt is not the most flattering.

 

When I first saw this top, I thought it had possibilities. I liked it and Burda is very strong in the knit-top-with-variations category. For me, it’s a miss. I don’t like the fabric I chose, and I don’t like the way they have you put together the sleeve. Another objection from me is the odd blouson/non-blouson effect. Is that girl chunky around the middle? Or is it just her top?
b_1114_113_1

 

So forgive me for my face. My husband was taking the pictures today, and for some reason, I can’t do serious poses when he is behind the camera. Or even vampy poses. Or even a normal smile. See the saggy stomach portion? It would be better, I think, if the top was a little longer so you could pull the shirt up and make it more of a blouson effect. But, the length is so short, you sort of have to keep it pulled down.
b_1114_113_2

 

This material was hard to work with. It is a thin jersey knit that curls like the dickens. It’s also off grain which made it nearly impossible to match the stripes.
b_1114_113_3

 

When I originally looked at this line drawing, I thought that the sleeve was two sleeves with the top one gathered, and sewn on top of the bottom sleeve. Instead, the top one (rainbow) is gathered, but attached to the bottom (pink) sleeve. The results are iffy. For me, this is a miss, but I’m sure there are beautiful versions on the web. I actually did make this in November, but just haven’t done anything with it for a long time!
b_1114_113_4

 

Up next: Several posts of clothing for me! I did all my photos of clothing today (be ready for all the weird faces). The sun is rising at around 1am and setting around 3:30pm, so I did all the photos on Saturday. During the work week, I don’t even get home until after 4pm!

2 comments:

kristin at sunnysewing said...

For being off grain you did a great job matching those stripes :) I can see the bagginess around the stomach area - strange. you can never tell from those line drawings, or the burda photos! lol

Mrs. Smith said...

I like the pattern itself on you! I think you should try again!